Dog Groomers help to groom and clean your pets. They provide services such as washing, cutting, grooming and styling their coats. They may also clean and clip nails and detangle their fur.
You do not require formal qualifications to work as a Dog Groomer in Australia. However, qualifications are highly advantageous to ensure you have the skills and knowledge you need to be a competent, professional Dog Groomer.
- A one-day intensive basic dog grooming and care course
- Certificate-level qualification such as a Certificate III in Pet Grooming
- Certificate III in Animal Studies
- Certified Master Groomer course or International Master Groomer & become a member of the Pet Industry Association of Australia
There are varied opportunities for career progression for Dog Groomers, including starting your own business, becoming a specialist dog breed groomer or a Master Groomer.
- Breed, clip and brand/product knowledge
- High standard of cleanliness
- Safe animal handling
- Good Eye-Hand Coordination
- Basic Knowledge of Canine Health and Anatomy
- Business Sense
You may like to think about moving on from this career, some transferable skills can be utilised in roles such as;
- Animal Attendant
- Animal Technician
- Small Business Owner