Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Mechanic
Air-conditioning and Refrigeration professionals cover both electrical and mechanical. They must be able to follow blueprints and specifications to install the units. They assemble, test, fault-find, service and repair industrial, commercial and domestic refrigeration and air conditioning systems in homes, shops, factories, office buildings, hospitals, supermarkets and cold stores. You will also fill the systems with gas or fluid using vacuum pumps and fill with refrigerant in line with regulations and governing procedures.
Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics usually have to complete an apprenticeship or traineeship. Entry requirements may vary, but employers generally require Year 10.
Formal qualifications include;
- Diploma of Engineering Technology - Refrigeration and Air-conditioning
- Diploma of Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering
- Certificate IV in Electrical - Air-conditioning Split Systems
- Certificate IV in Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Servicing
- Certificate III in Air-conditioning and Refrigeration
- Certificate II in Split Air-conditioning and Heat Pump Systems
After completion of qualification(s) you will need to apply & maintain an air conditioning licence.
- Team Player
- Refrigeration Knowledge
- Installing & Testing
You may like to think about moving on from this career, some transferable skills can be utilised in roles such as;
- Service Technician
- Maintenance Manager