Ambition Vs Ability
Does your ambition exceed your ability?
Or do you know someone who always seems to brag about what they are going to do with their life and how they are going to conquer the world? Do you find yourself smiling out of politeness? Do you find yourself nodding your head in agreement, but secretly thinking “Yeah right, whatever you reckon!”
Well, this is a warning not to be too quick to judge and condemn. Many of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs were once ridiculed for their ideas. However, they proved everyone wrong and went out, sought out and succeeded! Keeping in mind, there are always those who fall into the category of ‘All talk, no action’.
So how do we know what makes up a successful entrepreneur? Truth is – we never REALLY know what lies ahead, but there are a few common attributes all entrepreneurs or success stories entail. And here are just a few:
You may notice they are all personal attributes and have nothing to do with the skill or talent that person possesses. Believe it or not, success is often determined on how reliable, honest and well liked a person is! Amazingly, you do not have to be the best in your field to succeed. It is all the other attributes you bring to the table which will make up the formula for success! And remember, success is set and determined by YOU! Your level of success is determined by your own ideas and values (another article for another day).
So what do you do if you have identified someone, or perhaps even yourself, as having these attributes and a particular drive and talent to succeed?
Following is a 5 step plan on how you can start the journey:
1. Draw a chart and mark out where you currently believe you sit in life. Mark out where you would like to be in the future and give yourself some kind of timeframe – perhaps five years and plot this out on the bottom line of your chart. Remember, goals are rarely achieved overnight. How many times have you heard about “overnight successes” only to hear the lead singer of that band talk about how he has been grinding away in pubs and clubs for the past 15 years
2. Investigate the various areas of your life and what needs to be done to get there ie; education, experience, personal skills, networking in the industry…..
3. Plot out in stages how you will undertake these various activities (completing the necessary course or volunteering some of your time to gain that much needed experience) and be careful to plot these out separately so you don’t take on too much at one time. You are much more likely to succeed if you space out your plan and activities and ensure you allow enough time to complete each one. However, some activities will overlap, others will need to be undertaken and completed independently
4. Make a note for a reward upon completion of each activity. Self reward is a great motivator. Just ensure it is attainable and in the budget.
5. Lastly, if you have any doubts or concerns, see a qualified Career Counsellor or Coach. These qualified individuals can ensure you stay on track, motivating you to succeed while answering and investigating any questions you may have! They can also provide valuable advice on whether your plan is attainable
Now it’s time to start your journey! Better yet, why not share your success story with Career Origin? We would love to publish your story for the interest!
If you would like to start planning - email or call us on 1300 899 785 today!
What is Career Coaching?
CONTACT US TODAY
M: 0433 048 338